a little confuse with case-sensitive name ports and multiple ports with some name

Oleg Ginzburg oleg.ginzburg at nevosoft.ru
Thu Apr 16 16:16:37 UTC 2009

On Thursday 16 April 2009 19:52:38 Chris Rees wrote:
> 2009/4/16 Oleg Ginzburg <oleg.ginzburg at nevosoft.ru>:
> > Hello maillist!
> >
> > I have two examples of ports with which arises some complexities by
> > operation with pkg_add and argument "-r".
> >
> > One of ports is "security/keepassx". His name is registered in lowercase,
> > however at installation in/var/db/pkg is registered as KeepAssX. If to
> > try to install port with pkg_add -r keepassx it will be fail and  it will
> > be correct with pkg_add -r KeepAssX. Probably it is an error in naming of
> > port?
> >
> > One more problem with port - deco. It is present at two locations:
> >
> > % cat /usr/ports/{archivers,misc}/deco/pkg-descr
> > Deco is a Un*x script able to extract various archive file formats.
> > Supported archive formats: 7z, ace, ar, arc, arj, bz2, cab, cpio, deb,
> > flac, gz, jar, lha, lzma, lzo, rar, rpm, tar, zip, zoo.
> >
> > WWW: http://hartlich.com/deco/
> > A clone of Norton Commander for Unix.  Text-based,
> > full featured file manager intuitive interface.
> >
> > WWW: http://deco.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Whether there is a way to specify to what category to me it is required
> > to download package of "deco"?
> >
> > whereis -sq deco
> > /usr/ports/archivers/deco - its archivers
> >
> > By command pkg_add -r deco - I've receive in the system fine NC-clone,
> > but not the archivers.
> >
> > When number of port with equal name will be increase - expected results
> > may can not coincide with result pkg_add, and case-sensitive naming port
> > make works a bit difficult .

> Try appending the version number?

Do you mean pkg_add -r deco-N.M (in my example?)

% pkg_add -r deco-3.9_4
Error: FTP Unable to get
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-
current/Latest/deco-3.9_4.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no
access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch
'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-
current/Latest/deco-3.9_4.tbz' by URL

[root at oleg lftp]# lftp
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-current/Latest/
cd ok, cwd=/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-current/Latest
lftp ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-current/Latest> ls |
grep deco-3.9
lrwxr-xr-x  1 1006  1006  21 Feb 22 01:30 deco.tbz -> ../All/deco-3.9_4.tbz

- on ftp servers packages without version as i see.

Anyway, its not protect in situation with equal name and equal version of
diffrent ports.

> Or use portinstall -PP archivers/deco

Ok, this may be solution. BTW, portinstall still not in FreeBSD base system ;)