MailScanner w/sendmail - why no one listening on port 25?

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Mon Apr 13 23:33:49 UTC 2009

I am trying to get sendmail and MailScanner running on a 7.2-PRERELEASE
system and can't figure out how to get sendmail (or any other program)
to listen on port 25. If I remove MailScanner from the setup and just
run sendmail alone it works as expected but adding MailScanner into the
mix and the system won't accept port 25 connections. I have pretty much
the same configuration running on a 6.4-STABLE system (this is a new
system scheduled to replace the 6.4 system) and it works fine. I'm using
the same MailScanner configuration files and sendmail.mc files on both
systems.

Anyone have any idea what may have changed and/or what I may have
overlooked doing? Any good debugging tips for this problem would be
welcomed (I've used sendmail for years but have never learned too much
about it).

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox              The trouble with doing something right the first
bob at immure.com           time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.