Can I resume the perl upgrade?

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Sat Apr 11 15:00:07 UTC 2009

On Friday 10 April 2009 11:43:33 kimelto at gmail.com wrote:
> Paul Schmehl wrote:
> > --On Friday, April 10, 2009 11:17:00 -0500 Paul Schmehl
> >
> > <pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com> wrote:
> >> According to /usr/ports/UPDATING, if you want to upgrade to perl5.10,
> >> you do
> >> the following:
> >>
> >> Portupgrade users:
> >>     0) Fix pkgdb.db (for safety):
> >>         pkgdb -Ff
> >>
> >>     1) Reinstall perl with new 5.10:
> >>         portupgrade -o lang/perl5.10 -f perl-5.8.\*
> >>
> >>     2) Reinstall everything that depends on Perl:
> >>         portupgrade -fr perl
> >>
> >> My machine got rebooted right in the middle of step 3.  Is there a
> >> way to
> >> resume where I left off?  Or do I just start over?
> >
> > Let me rephrase.  I don't see a way in portupgrade to start over where
> > I left off.  However, pkg_info -R lang/perl* shows that all my ports
> > depend on 5.10 and no ports are still depending upon 5.8.  Is it safe
> > to assume that the reboot happened after portupgrade had finished?
>
> Nope. With this info you can assume that step 2/3 worked. Not the step 3/3.
> I dont know how to restart at the stage it was before reboot as I dont
> use portupgrade.
> Personnaly, as portmaster failed with some ports and abort the whole
> update process, I wrote a simple sh script which loop over the packages
> which need perl (got via the via pkg_info -R, need reordering
> thought...), exec portmaster ${PKG}, and keep a list of which reinstall
> succeed and which failed.
>
> Regards

I hope it is not too far off topic but:

Can anyone tell me how to fix this one:

Stale dependency: bsdpan-Pod-Perldoc-3.15 -> perl-5.8.9_2 (lang/perl5.8):
can't convert nil into string

My update to 10 seems to be OK except for this..

I cannot find its origin so do not know what to deinstall and reinstall

It would also be great to get all bsdpan into the pkgdb with their origins..
is there any way to do that?

Thanks in advance

David