Portupgrade still broken?

parv at pair.com parv at pair.com
Fri Apr 10 12:57:13 UTC 2009

in message <b79ecaef0904091219t4f20f65br36f6e2405ff60ca7 at mail.gmail.com>,
wrote Chris Rees thusly...

> 2009/4/9 Parv <parv at pair.com>:
> > in message <b79ecaef0904080551x74c80227h1a4ba5d2adcca905 at mail.gmail.com>,
> > wrote Chris Rees thusly...
> >>
> >> I recall from http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2008-March/047319.html
> >> that there was a bug in portupgrade last year, causing it to break
> >> when a port is recursively (-R) upgraded; it's surfacing for me
> >> too :(
> >> [chris at amnesiac]/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade% sudo portupgrade
> >> -rR emacs xterm curl php5-mbstring
> >> otp-md5 488 am9338 ext
> >> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/pkginfo.rb:74:in `initialize': : Not
> >> in due form: <name>-<version> (ArgumentError)
> >>  from /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:614:in `new'
> >> from /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:614:in `main'
> > Does this Perl (5.8 & onwards) program ...
> >
> >   http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/src/perl/check-portupgrade-00
> >

> > ... produces anything when run *without any arguments*?
> >
> > Purpose of the program is to find a port name (based on directory
> > name in /var/db/pkg) which fails to match the regular expression
> > /^(.+)-([^-]+)$/ used in pkginfo.rb, among other files of
> > portupgrade.
> No, sorry, no messages :(

Thank you Chris & Kent.  No output means that all the port names
(based on directory names) match the expected format in pkginfo.rb
which tries to parse the names.

So that implies that whatever name is being sent to pkginfo.rb is
not really a port name per expectation.  Internal API seemed to have
changed (since whenever), but somebody failed to update the name
parsing code, and/or to generate the complete name from partial name
before passing it to port name-version parsing code.

What was the last working version?  It would be simpler for this
Ruby simpleton to generate a patch than to debug through the
stack trace.

  - Parv