My interactive version of pkg_add

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 02:08:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Marcin Wisnicki
<mwisnicki+freebsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 21:11:27 -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Michel Talon <talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr>
>> wrote:

>> INDEX is made available via to pkg_install within sysinstall and exists
>> on mirrors in the following location:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/${ARCH}/packages-${VERSION}/
>
> Would be nice if there was also INDEX.bz2.

You'd need to talk to the release team about that if you don't agree
with that fact; INDEX.bz2 item is a portupgrade-ism, and has its own
collection of drawbacks in addition to it's pro's.

> Also to be able to write an effective pkg upgrade tool one would need
> something like /usr/ports/MOVED.

INDEX already addresses this.

FWIW, I'd get rid of the All/ indexing as it's just a mass
conglomeration of all of the other categories.

-Garrett