print/acroread8

Tim Clewlow tim at clewlow.org
Mon Sep 22 01:37:23 UTC 2008

Hello,

# uname -a
FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #0: Sun Sep 21 13:28:51 EST 2008

I just installed print/acroread8 from a ports tree that is about 1-2
days old (depending on your time zone). The plugin for firefox
(mozilla) was installed to:

/root/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so

When I did:

nsplugginwrapper -v -a -i

it found the plugin, and:

nsplugginwrapper -l

lists it as installed, but firefox doesnt load it.

So, I removed the plugin with:

nspluginwrapper -r /root/.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.nppdf.so

then, moved the file nppdf.so into /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
and then, reinstalled it from the new location with:

nsplugginwrapper -v -a -i

Now firefox loads the plugin and it all works as expected.

I dont know if this is a packaging problem with acroread8, ie maybe
it should drop the file nppdf.so into /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
instead of /root/.mozilla/plugins - - - or maybe this is a problem
with the wrapper not setting up the plugin properly.

Anyway, this was the problem I encountered, and how to fix it
manually in case anyone else is seeing this.

Cheers, Tim.