Incorrect commandline history with bash

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 22 00:22:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 03:54:12PM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2008, at 2:52 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>>> The following are the contents of my .bash_profile and .bashrc:
>>>
>>> #.bash_profile :
>>> [ -f ~/.bashrc ] && source ~/.bashrc
>>> #end-of-file
>>
>> You have this backwards.  ~/.bashrc should contain something like
>> this:
>>
>> if [ -f "${HOME}/.bash_profile" ]
>> then
>> source "${HOME}/.bash_profile"
>> fi
>
> Jeremy, I'm not sure what version of FreeBSD you are using but I'd like
> to point out that in 6.2 and 6.3-REL his version is correct and yours
> will not work.

That's funny, because mine does work.  I spent quite a lot of time
looking at the bash man page over the years to determine how to properly
meet said needs.  I use the exact same setup on Solaris 7/8/9/10 (bash
v2) and FreeBSD 4/5/6/7/8 (bash v3), and it works exactly how the man
page describes.

> .bashrc is not sourced on login on any of my hosts.  I have ".
> ~/.bashrc" in my .bash_profile.  And I just commented it out, and
> .bash_profile environment was set up, and the stuff in .bashrc was not.

Everyone lecturing me needs to read, slowly, the INVOCATION part of the
bash man page.  The method I described above should become apparent
afterwards.

> Is this perhaps an X versus SSH login sort of thing?  I don't know.  We
> have no X environment, this is entirely logging in via SSH.

No, I do not use X anywhere.  The OP may be using it.