databases/mysql51-server and beginner's InnoDB questions

Morgan Wesström freebsd-ports at pp.dyndns.biz
Tue Sep 16 18:50:58 UTC 2008

# uname -a
FreeBSD gatekeeper.pp.dyndns.biz 7.0-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p4
#0: Thu Sep  4 10:58:01 CEST 2008
pp at gatekeeper.pp.dyndns.biz:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL  amd64

# pkg_info | grep mysql-server
mysql-server-5.1.26 Multithreaded SQL database (server)

Dear list.

I have a few questions regarding enabling InnoDB but I'm not an expert
on MySQL so I'm not even sure I know how to ask them correctly. But the
only way to learn is to ask and hope nobody is offended by stupid
questions. :-)

I realized today actually that there are different storage engines
available for MySQL and that InnoDB seems to be preferred so I naturally
wanted to use it. I can see with "show create table <sometable>" that
Mediawiki's tables for example are already created with ENGINE=InnoDB.
But in my MySQL config file, which is simply a copy of my-large.cnf,
there is a whole section for InnoDB that is commented out. It begins with:
"# Uncomment the following if you are using InnoDB tables"

_First question:_
Is InnoDB enabled by default regardless of the settings in my.cnf and
how can I verify it?

Assuming it wasn't enabled, despite the output from "show create table",
I uncommented all the InnoDB options in my config and restarted MySQL
and got the first error:

"InnoDB: Error: log file /usr/local/var/db/mysql/ib_logfile0 is of
different size 0 5242880 bytes
InnoDB: than specified in the .cnf file 0 67108864 bytes!"

I was able to work around this by changing innodb_log_file_size from the
default 64M to 5M.

_Second question:_
How can I increase the logfile size from it's original 5M to the 64M
suggested in the config? Can I just delete the old logfile and have it
recreated or will that break any of my databases?

MySQL also complained about this:

"[ERROR] /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: unknown variable
'innodb_log_arch_dir=/usr/local/var/db/mysql/'"

After some googling I realized this was a deprecated variable and the
reference to it in the config file should have been removed in 5.1.25.

_Third question:_
Is this an issue with the FreeBSD port specifically? Should I report
this to someone and how would I do that the correct way?

Regards
Morgan