Making ports from source with weird download restrictions

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 8 18:55:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 10:03:22AM -0700, Steve Franks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are two embedded software tools
> I've been wanting to port for some time.  Both have inconsistent/funky
> downloads, so I have no idea how to get them into a port.  Both are
> very active projects, and used by pretty much all embedded ARM7/9
> developers (embedded as in microwaves & thermostats not PDA's &
> IPods).

> source for this project is only located in the "files" section of this
> yahoo group, and I'm pretty sure you need a yahoo password to get it.
> Also it's guarded by a bunch of antisocial types, if you know what I
> mean.  I got flamed for suggesting a feature that would increase
> flexibility.  I suspect the only choice here is to make sure the
> license is open, and branch it to a new sourceforge project, correct?
> Otherwise, there's really no way for someone to get the source in an
> automated fashion.

As long as the license allows redistribution, we can host it on FreeBSD
infrastructure using MASTER_SITE_LOCAL.

> 2) openocd - http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=Building_OpenOCD
> - this is a bit more sensible - there's a stable SVN repository for
> it, it's just that the only ports I've seen are on sourceforge, and
> come from release .tgz archives, not a SVN archive (although I've
> never gotten a broken version from the openocd SVN).  If someone
> pointed me at a port that built from SVN instead of a .tgz, I'm sure I
> could get the port done.

Doing an svn export in the fetch stage is possible, but probably not
ideal.  In my devel/llvm-devel port I have a do-fetch target that
fetches a snapshot and makes a tarball out of it, but I only use that
for my own use and host a snapshot on the FreeBSD ftp servers for normal
users since a tarball allows users to do a make clean and retry without
having to fetch files again.

-- Brooks