ports missing their packages.

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Wed Oct 29 20:25:45 UTC 2008

On 2008-Oct-29 16:09:23 +0800, FBSD1 <fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>It's my understanding that a port maintainer has to install the port for
>real any time a change is made to the port make files or a update to the
>source of the software to test and verify the changes work as wanted.

I'm not sure what you mean by "install the port for real".  A port
maintainer is responsible for updating his/her ports and verifying
that they work.  This presumably includes building and installing
the port.

>Creating the package after this is just one command and a ftp upload
>to the package server.

This isn't true for a whole variety of reasons.

> Why are maintainers being given approval to apply their
>changes without creating the required package?

Because packages aren't "required" and creation of packages is nothing
to do with ports maintainers.

> This is just lax management
>on the part of the people who do the authorizing of the changes.

I suggest you do a bit more reading and a bit less pontificating.

> Missing
>packages increases user frustration level and makes FreeBSD look like its
>being mis-managed.

Not all ports have packages for a variety of reasons and there is no
requirement that every port has packages for every supported version
of FreeBSD.

Maybe you need to learn how to "cd /usr/ports/... && make install"

--
Peter Jeremy