ports missing their packages.

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 29 15:21:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:17:22AM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:00:50PM +1100, andrew clarke wrote:
> > Presumably the 6.x series wlll be retired before 8.x is released... :)
>
> No, there will be an overlap.  See
> http://www.freebsd.org/security/index.html#supported-branches.
>
> 8.0 had *better* be out before 2010 :-)
>
> > That brings up a question - what is the usual procedure for port
> > maintainers so they can test their ports on both 6.x & 7.x?
>
> I think most people these days run 7.x and create a ports tinderbox
> (ports-mgmt/tinderbox) to check on 6.x.  A few people have tinderboxes
> available.

While my tinderboxes are not publicly available I do use them
extensively to test things and will often work with maintainers who ask
for help in supporting OS versions they don't have handy.  I also make
use of VMs in the rare cases where a tinderbox won't suffice.  I
understand that not everyone has access to these things, so don't
hesitate to ask for help as a maintainer.

-- WXS