portupgrade fails - how to fix?

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 21:30:09 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Parv <parv at pair.com> wrote:
> Is your version of portupgrade is the latest in the ports? (So that
> I can install the same & investigate.)

Yes - always. I think I even stated in my first message that the ports
tree was updated.

>> root at kg-work2# portupgrade -R nasm pcre xterm mplayer gscan2pdf ImageMagick
>
> What are the exact names of the ports|packages installed?  Many ways
> to list; here is a simple one ...

You mean with the version numbers?
Any port names listed above or in my initial message re non-ambiguous.

FWIW, I use /bin/sh as myt shell. Always.

> Seems like portupgrade is dying when a port name-version format does
> not match the expected regular expression. Or, the program
> encounters a non-port string.

It might be, but where does it encounter that problem?
I have done 'pkgdb -F' - it didn't find any problems.
And why doesn't portupgrade find the same problem with any individual
port when I try portupgrade on them one-by-one?

> If portupgrade is indeed successful individually for all the above
> listed ports, then the second scenario is more likely (the "non-port
> thing" one).

Well, I can't understand where portupgrade picks up that from, unless
there is a flaw / error in portupgrade itself.

I am a quite experienced user of portupgrade (I have used it for many
years), so let me put a few notes here:
1) ambiguous names - if given, portupgrade will ask which ones you
want (eg. 'firefox')
2) non-existent names - portupgrade will skip those, like so:
root at kg-quiet# portupgrade -R nonexistant
[Exclude up-to-date packages  done]

3) portupgrade used to have no problems with the way I am using it,
ie. portupgrade -R port1 port2 port3 port4 ...

Hope this helps.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen