SQUID Follow X-Forwarded-For headers

Thomas-Martin Seck tmseck-lists at netcologne.de
Sat Nov 29 08:49:25 PST 2008

* Albert Thiel <athiel at yourdatacenter.com>:

> There is a patch to Follow X-Forwarded-For headers to SQUID, but it is
> not in the ports.

The patch you refer to is probably the outdated patch for Squid <2.6,
<http://devel.squid-cache.org/follow_xff/index.html>. You do not need
that patch anymore, at least not for Squid-2.

Squid-2.6/2.7 now support this feature natively; it is available as a
port OPTION (off by default). Said option
(WITH_/WITHOUT_SQUID_FOLLOW_XFF) is supported by the Squid-2 ports for
about four years now.

> How do I patch this in, or has someone done it already?

For Squid-2, i.e. www/squid26 or www/squid, just re-run "make config"
and select "SQUID_FOLLOW_XFF". For Squid-3.0 -- ask the Squid developers
to backport this feature. Squid 3.1 will include it natively just like
Squid-2.6/2.7.