Only in OpenOffice.org-2.4, I'm having es_ES deadkey problems.

Nikola Lečić nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net
Sat Nov 29 07:15:22 PST 2008

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:37:55 -0600
eculp <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:

> Quoting Nikola Lečić <nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net>:

> > On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:29:36 -0600
> > eculp <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I didn't even realize that there were multiple input methods from a
> >> laptop keyboard.  Smart Common Input Method, I doubt because it
> >> doesn't seem to be very smart.
> >>
> >> Openoffice is the only program that has any problems. Skype,
> >> pidgen, term windows, Konsole, even gimp work perfectly.
> >
> > So you use some Spanish keyboard with one of the SCIM IMEngines? If
> > this is so, then you probably have something like this in your
> > environment:
> >
> >   XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
> >   GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
>
> I had neither in my environment so I added them and there was a
> change.  The dead keys printed correctly but weren't dead.  The same
> with xim.  I am seeing this on different laptops and one multiple
> desktop keyboards.

In my case, after typing the combination that contains a deadkey, the
correct resulting character used to appear for a fraction of a second,
disappearing afterwards.

> They are all runing KDE and the desktops are running FreeBSD
> 7.1-PRERELEASE and the laptop uptodate Current.

All right, here are my SCIM settings. Put these lines in ~/.xinitrc:

  export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
  export QT_IM_MODULE=scim
  export QT_IM_SWITCHER=imsw-multi
  export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
  scim -d

before the command that starts your GUI. After that try experimenting
with various *_IM_MODULE values. Please note that you need QT_IM_MODULE
for KDE applications and that it's better to start SCIM manually than
to use XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d".

My editors/openoffice.org-3-devel is compiled with 'LOCALIZED_LANG=sr',
'WITHOUT_CUPS=yes', 'WITH_SYSTEM_FREETYPE=yes', 'WITH_SYSTEM_ICU=yes',
'WITH_TTF_BYTECODE_ENABLED=yes'.

(However, since you use KDE/SKIM and maybe OpenOffice.org WITH_KDE, the
things might be a bit more complicated...)

Besides, if you share with me the actual keyboard file you use, it would
be the best way to investigate the problem further. What I wrote were
just generic ideas.

Best wishes.
- --
Nikola Lečić = Никола Лечић
fingerprint : FEF3 66AF C90E EDC3 D878  7CDC 956D F4AB A377 1C9B