Only in OpenOffice.org-2.4, I'm having es_ES deadkey problems.

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Fri Nov 28 16:29:39 PST 2008

Quoting Nikola Lečić <nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net>:

> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 07:36:37 -0600
> eculp <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure when this started because I almost never open MS type
>> docs and when I do it is only to read them.  Yesterday I found out,
>> quite by accident, that everyone in our offices, is unable to use
>> the deadkey accents for á é í ó ú etc but the ñ works fine so it
>> seems to be limited to the dead keys.  I'm writing this in KDE ( all
>> deadkeys work as expected in all kde apps) in term windows, even in
>> ttyv[0.7] so it seems to be 100% openoffice centric.
>>
>> The Spanish spell check works fine and a cut and paste of an
>> accented vowel works fine ( the current local work around).
>
> I experienced some OpenOffice.org input problems (specifically with
> deadkeys) caused by certain combinations of OpenOffice.org, Xorg and
> input method such as SCIM. So first, what input method do you use?

I didn't even realize that there were multiple input methods from a
laptop keyboard.  Smart Common Input Method, I doubt because it
doesn't seem to be very smart.

Openoffice is the only program that has any problems. Skype, pidgen,
term windows, Konsole, even gimp work perfectly.

>> Has anyone else seen this and found a configuration or build option
>> that I'm missing?  Should I open a PR?  I did try OpenOffice.org-3
>> and the same problem plus I didn't see an obvious way to download
>> the spelling wizard with it so I blew it away.
>
> Please see this:
>

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-November/186019.html

Spell check works perfectly.  Using it and cut and paste from other
applications is the way we are working.

Thanks a bunch and I'm sorry about my not understanding SCIM.  I found
it on wikipedia.  I'll read some more but it seems to be over kill in
this case.

ed