How do conditionalize plist on $NOPORTDOCS

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 18 10:51:22 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 01:38:52PM -0500, Martin Cracauer wrote:
> Wesley Shields wrote on Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 01:36:23PM -0500:

> > > So what happens when a user runs FreeBSD-6, installs such a port,
> > > then upgrades to FreeBSD-7.
> > >
> > > Would the port for the installed package come up with the wrong plist
> > > and whatnot?
> >
> > Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're asking but if the port installs
> > different files based upon the version it's being installed on it should
> > use PLIST_SUB accordingly.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/plist.html
>
> But you'd have the wrong one installed.  Your freebsd-7 would have the
> freebsd-6 package installed and the installed files don't match.

Yes, but the plist would still be correct.  The installed files would
match the plist.  You would want to update the port though so that you
get the updated files, which would cause the plist to be registered
again ensuring that things remain consistently correct.

> On second thought, I don't think it matters since it's not different
> from having /usr/ports/lang/cmucl/* updated to something new.  Never mind.

Yes, I don't see this as a problem at all.

-- WXS