Building enlightenment-devel fails

Alexey Shuvaev shuvaev at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu May 29 09:43:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 07:52:18AM +0200, cflists at helinet.de wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm running a FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE and after a portupgrade building
> enlightenment-devel fails with following error.
>
> --snip--
> libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/local/lib/libecore_dbus.la'
> or unhandled argument `/usr/local/lib/libecore_dbus.la'
> gmake[3]: *** [enlightenment] Error 1
> --snip--
>
> I googled this problem an found this
>
> --snip--
> This removes the DBUS check for ecore. Since ecore does not appear to
> link against any other DBUS port, it is not necessary. In addition
> enlightenment-devel will not build if ecore does not have DBUS enabled
> due to a dependency on Ecore_DBus.h in e.h. A better way is welcome.
> --snip--
>
> The attached patch doesn't solve the problem as I dunno know which
> Makefile to patch. "/usr/ports/x11/ecore/Makefile" doesn't exist on my
> machine, only "/usr/ports/x11/ecore-desktop".
>
> This was not the first problem with the upgrade. As ports/UPDATING said
> on 20080312 ecore and evas have been splitted. After uninstalling and
> clean reinstalling all e-related packages now problems with
> libcore_dbus.la occure.
>
> Please excuse my probably stupid questions here, but I'm relatively new
> to FreeBSD and try to fix most of my problems by myself. But in here im
> stuck.
>
> Any help will be highly appreciated.

Could you check that you have up-to-date and consistent ports?
Or, otherwise, is it possible that there are some stale files laying
around in your system?
I have just installed x11-wm/enlightenment-devel without any problems
and it runs too. I have no libecore_dbus.* library. The dbus binding is
in devel/e_dbus now and installed as libedbus.*.
BTW, ecore is in devel/ecore and friends (deve/ecore-*), if it matters.
My system (amd64 FreeBSD-CURRENT) was updated yesterday (both base and ports):
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  16507539 May 28 12:16 /usr/ports/INDEX-8

I would suggest removing ALL enlightenment-related ports first and starting
from scratch then. To locate which package has installed libecore_dbus,
you can run, for example:
~> grep -R libecore_dbus /var/db/pkg/

On my system this command produces no output, but:
~> grep -R libedbus /var/db/pkg/
/var/db/pkg/e_dbus-20080223/+CONTENTS:lib/libedbus.a
/var/db/pkg/e_dbus-20080223/+CONTENTS:lib/libedbus.la
/var/db/pkg/e_dbus-20080223/+CONTENTS:lib/libedbus.so
/var/db/pkg/e_dbus-20080223/+CONTENTS:lib/libedbus.so.1

shows that libedbus is inside e_dbus-20080223 package.

Hope this helps,
Alexey.