what do I do with python eggs?

Greg Larkin glarkin at sourcehosting.net
Wed May 28 18:06:48 UTC 2008

> Hiya.
>
> I'm making a port that uses Python and easy_install.  I'm not
> familiar with this installer ... but the port I've created
> follows the example of some others, and does appear to install.
>
> The catch is, it doesn't clean up.  A `make deinstall` or
> pkg_delete will leave stuff in
> /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/*-py2.5.egg/
> and I'm not sure what to add to pkg-plist, since this is
> something that easy_install is doing.
>
> Is this enough information?  What am I failing to understand
> about eggs?
>
> Thanks.  :)

Hi Paul,

Have a look at the www/trac-wikirename port, and I think you'll get some
ideas there.  The pkg-plist includes the following:

%%PYTHON_SITELIBDIR%%/%%PYEASYINSTALL_EGG%%

That should clean up the .egg file for you, but check this section of the
Makefile, as you'll need something similar in yours:

USE_PYTHON=	2.3+
USE_PYDISTUTILS=	easy_install
PYDISTUTILS_PKGNAME=	TracWikiRename

If you want, post some of your Makefile and pkg-plist for review here.

Regards,
Greg Larkin
SourceHosting.net, LLC
http://www.sourcehosting.net/