Compiler segfault under fbsd7?

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 27 09:08:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:57:03AM +0200, cy at htlwrn.ac.at wrote:
>   Hi I just tried to install the apache22 port - ended in a
>   segmentation fault in port (=dependency) phyton:
>
>   ./../Objects/unicodeobject.c: In function
> 'unicode_decode_call_errorhandler':
> ./../Objects/unicodeobject.c:874: internal compiler error: Segmentation
> fault: 11
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html[1]> for instructions.
> *** Error code 1
>
>   Stop in /usr/ports/lang/python25/work/Python-2.5.2/portbld.static.
> *** Error code 1
> Its a brand new install of BSD 7 and its the first port I tried to install
> after portsnap fetch and portsnap extract - so what could possibly be
> wrong??

This is covered in the FAQ.  In most cases, it's a sign of hardware
problems (usually bad memory).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/troubleshoot.html#SIGNAL11

Can you complete an entire buildworld (cd /usr/src && make buildworld)
without sig11?  If so, it may in fact be a compiler bug, but I'm
doubting it.