ImageMagick-6.4.1-3_1 selftest fails

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sat May 24 15:45:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 04:38:02PM +0200, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> >> ImageMagick fails to build for me. I guess it is because I do the
> >> build as root while a different user "owns the display". (I do
> >> use kdm for login and start the build after su in a Konsole.)
> >
> >	Built just fine for me, about an hour ago, on -CURRENT with no
> >KDE involved.  OPTIONS screen worked fine.
>
> Thanks. As I said, I tried to build with root while root was not allowed
> to use the display. Granting root access with 'xhost +local:' or 'setenv
> XAUTHORITY /usr/home/USER/.Xauthority' fixes the problem. Having to do
> that was kind of unexpected for me...
>
> Maybe I was just wrong trying this with 'su' as root instead of properly
> being logged in with 'su -'. Having a DISPLAY=:0 set but being
> disallowed from using it, may not be expected.

I don't use KDE, but I do use xdm(1), so if I understand correctly, I
have a similar $DISPLAY ownership situation as yours.

ImageMagick just built for me under 6.3-STABLE (also freshly built
today).  (Although I track RELENG_6, RELENG_7, and HEAD daily, I only
build ports under RELENG_6, as that's what I actually mostly use.)

I do the building within a run of script(1) that I start via sudo(1);
that, in turn, is run under screen(1) within an xterm(1).  (Yes, I could
investigate ways to reduce the number of those tools, but as things
stand, each is there for a specific reason that I think I understand.)

In any case, I saw no evidence that the build of ImageMagick even needed
to be run within an X11 environment.  Examining the output from
script(1) for the upgrade of ImageMagick shows no instances of the
string "DISPLAY," for example.  (The string "display" shows up, as the
name of one of the programs in the ImageMagick suite.)

Peace,
david   (who still uses a derivative of twm(1) as a WM)
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I submit that "conspiracy" would be an appropriate collective noun for cats.