Trying for a duplex printer; hplip usb problem

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Fri May 23 23:55:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 06:14:27PM -0400, Anish Mistry wrote:
> On Friday 23 May 2008, Juergen Lock wrote:
> > In article <48208A9C.8070305 at chuckr.org> you write:
> > >
> > >I have been scouring all the data I can, to find printers that do
> > > duplex printing (that means doublesided printing).  I found 3
> > > models, but two of them (the HP C7280 and the Canon PIXMA MX850)
> > > have no public drivers I can find. [...]
> >
> > Well, the HP C7280 seems to be supported by hplip:
> > 	http://hplip.sourceforge.net/models/photosmart/photosmart_c7200_se
> >ries.html
> >
> >  hplip is in ports,
> > 	http://www.freshports.org/print/hplip
> > and an older version (1.7.4a) works fine here with an HP Officejet
> > 7310 connected via usb, the newer ones (those that no longer have
> > the hpiod daemon) tho log things like
> >
> > 	May 23 01:22:49 saturn
> > Officejet_7300_series?serial=MY62DQ70PB04HR: io/hpmud/musb.c 1057:
> > unable to open hp:/usb/Officejet_7300_series?serial=MY62DQ70PB04HR
> > May 23 01:22:50 saturn Officejet_7300_series?serial=MY62DQ70PB04HR:
> > prnt/backend/hp.c 636: INFO: open device failed; will retry in 30
> > seconds...
> >
> > in syslog and print nothing.  But since the hplip page for the
> > C7280 talks about network you probably can still use it that way,
> > as this certainly looks like an usb problem.
> >
> >  To the hplip maintainer: I have taken out ulpt out of the kernel
> > and then configured the printer via hp-setup as root since I want
> > to be able to scan too (which incidentally still worked also with
> > the new version), so maybe things are different when only printing
> > via ulpt... (like you do when you configure the printer directly
> > via cups.)  Googling the error message I finds quite a few hits for
> > various linux distros so apparently this is a common problem and
> > maybe we just have to wait for an upstream fix.
> >
> >  If anyone has the same problem (and your printer is already
> > supported by 1.7.4a like mine), you can use anoncvs or
> > portdowngrade to checkout the old version of the hplip port, you
> > only need to patch the netsnmp.10 dependency in the port Makefile
> > to read netsnmp.16 if the rest of your ports are current.
> This sounds like a configuration problem.  Please re-read the
> pkg-message and send me the requested information.

Haha, there you go, works now...  Only $diety knows why I didn't see
the pkg-message. :)

 (This may warrant a note in UPDATING tho, at least I didn't forget
to check _that_ yet...)

 Oh and users that want to scan need to be in the cups group now, tho
thats probably obvious.

 Thanx, and sorry for the noise!
	Juergen