Trying for a duplex printer; hplip usb problem

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Fri May 23 21:52:04 UTC 2008

In article <48208A9C.8070305 at chuckr.org> you write:

>I have been scouring all the data I can, to find printers that do duplex
>printing (that means doublesided printing).  I found 3 models, but two of them
>(the HP C7280 and the Canon PIXMA MX850) have no public drivers I can find.
>[...]

Well, the HP C7280 seems to be supported by hplip:
	http://hplip.sourceforge.net/models/photosmart/photosmart_c7200_series.html

 hplip is in ports,
	http://www.freshports.org/print/hplip
and an older version (1.7.4a) works fine here with an HP Officejet 7310
connected via usb, the newer ones (those that no longer have the hpiod
daemon) tho log things like

	May 23 01:22:49 saturn Officejet_7300_series?serial=MY62DQ70PB04HR: io/hpmud/musb.c 1057: unable to open hp:/usb/Officejet_7300_series?serial=MY62DQ70PB04HR
	May 23 01:22:50 saturn Officejet_7300_series?serial=MY62DQ70PB04HR: prnt/backend/hp.c 636: INFO: open device failed; will retry in 30 seconds...

in syslog and print nothing.  But since the hplip page for the C7280
talks about network you probably can still use it that way, as this
certainly looks like an usb problem.

 To the hplip maintainer: I have taken out ulpt out of the kernel and then
configured the printer via hp-setup as root since I want to be able to scan
too (which incidentally still worked also with the new version), so maybe
things are different when only printing via ulpt... (like you do when you
configure the printer directly via cups.)  Googling the error message I
finds quite a few hits for various linux distros so apparently this is a
common problem and maybe we just have to wait for an upstream fix.

 If anyone has the same problem (and your printer is already supported by
1.7.4a like mine), you can use anoncvs or portdowngrade to checkout the
old version of the hplip port, you only need to patch the netsnmp.10
dependency in the port Makefile to read netsnmp.16 if the rest of your
ports are current.

	Juergen