State of sysutils/lsof on RELENG_6

Vic Abell abe at purdue.edu
Tue May 20 17:05:04 UTC 2008

Jeremy,

Thanks for your FYI.

An additional FYI is that I no longer support lsof on FreeBSD
systems where I can't test it.  I have access only to 4.9, 7.0
and 8.0, so lsof for FreeBSD 6.3 is unsupported, except in
special circumstances.

A special circumstance arose regarding 6.3 where the person
reporting a problem building lsof because of the locking
changes was willing to test for me and the lsof change was
minimal.  Hence I updated lsof's Configure script to propagate
the 7.0 and above lockf tests downward to 6.x.

There are two Q&A's in the lsof FAQ (the file 00FAQ in the
lsof distribution), which deal with lockf/if_* problems.  The
questions are:

  8.6   Why can't Configure create lsof_owner.h for FreeBSD 7 and above?
  8.6.1 Why are there lockf structure compiler errors for FreeBSD 7.0
        and higher lsof?

If anyone has suggestions on how to clarify the answers to those
questions, I would be happy to hear it.  For example, how does
one end up with an up-to-date /usr/src/sys/sys.lockf.h and an out-
of-date /usr/include/sys/lockf.h; and what does one do to bring the
two into sync?

Vic, lsof author

ersions.html

Advice?

CC'ing Vic (purely as an information gesture), and port maintainer.