ports with bad plist when NO{DOCS,EXAMPLES,PORTDATA} defined

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon May 19 22:51:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008 17:23:00 -0500, Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, 19 May 2008 17:18:25 -0500
> "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> > And how are updates tested - except when you hijack pointyhat :) ?
>>
>> I think, most of us don't test it until pointyhat complain it. ;-) It's
>
>  :-D
>
>> very rare for *-reference ports to change with PORTDOCS=* unless they
>> added something like sometime ago doxygen/devhelp were added in
>> glibmm-reference and we got pointyhat error log for that. Well, also got
>> your error log for different case in same port.
>>
>> If I modify or rewrite reference framework, I would use static plist
>> instead of PORTDOCS=* and remove NOPORTDOCS option. It means that we
>> will
>> have to test *-reference ports' plist at the each update. I don't know
>> if
>> my team will like it, so I will have to ask if I am going to touch
>> reference framework (don't have time for that right now).
>
> Not using PORTDOCS and not supporting NOPORTDOCS are different things,
> no?

The reference framework has PORTDOCS=* and define NOPORTDOCS in
post-install target. So, I mean by not use PORTDOCS (auto with/without
@comment in plist) for avoid plist broke if users use NOPORTDOCS when
remove NOPORTDOCS from post-install target. And don't use NOPORTDOCS in
Makefile, so it will be always install. Also, I usually like to avoid use
PORTDOCS for I can add more lines in static plist.

> On my desktop /usr/local/shre/docs is about 400MB.
> I had to fit recently a pretty complex system on a small thingy. Had to
> go in and remove a lot of things by hand o have place for the base
> system and the port plus for some data.

The *-reference ports only install documents stuff, so it doesn't make any
sense to provide NOPORTDOCS option support. If users install *-reference
ports with NOPORTDOCS then these ports will be register with nothing stuff
installed. ;-) It's one of reason we provide *-reference slave ports.

>> BTW/OT: I am against automatic dynamic pkg-plist:
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsToDo#head-d39af25709360f5285b40c03255de7465fa717fa
>> .. I perfer static plist, I use it awful a lot in offline. I wouldn't
>> have
>> done share/gnome/ -> share/ quick without that static plist. Also it
>> helps
>> a lot to notice if file(s) install in the wrong place. I use it a lot to
>> know which file/directory come from port.
>
> Yeh, I'm all in favor of having all files listed in pkg-plist.

Good!

Cheers,
Mezz

FreeBSD GNOME Team