ports with bad plist when NO{DOCS,EXAMPLES,PORTDATA} defined

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon May 19 22:16:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:46:17 -0500, Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:45:32 -0500
> "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> > BTW, what's GNOME Team's infrastructure now?
>>
>> If tarball has reference[1] then we sometime use reference framework
>> (USE_GNOME=referencehack in master port and include
>> devel/glib20-reference/bsd.gnome-reference.mk in slave port). I don't
>> really like current reference framework because it's complicate than
>> what
>> it is supposed to be and portlint doesn't work with it. Also, the
>> *-reference ports shouldn't have NOPORTDOCS option. Other than
>> reference,
>> we use normal like other ports.
>
> And how are updates tested - except when you hijack pointyhat :) ?

I think, most of us don't test it until pointyhat complain it. ;-) It's
very rare for *-reference ports to change with PORTDOCS=* unless they
added something like sometime ago doxygen/devhelp were added in
glibmm-reference and we got pointyhat error log for that. Well, also got
your error log for different case in same port.

If I modify or rewrite reference framework, I would use static plist
instead of PORTDOCS=* and remove NOPORTDOCS option. It means that we will
have to test *-reference ports' plist at the each update. I don't know if
my team will like it, so I will have to ask if I am going to touch
reference framework (don't have time for that right now).

BTW/OT: I am against automatic dynamic pkg-plist:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsToDo#head-d39af25709360f5285b40c03255de7465fa717fa
.. I perfer static plist, I use it awful a lot in offline. I wouldn't have
done share/gnome/ -> share/ quick without that static plist. Also it helps
a lot to notice if file(s) install in the wrong place. I use it a lot to
know which file/directory come from port.

Cheers,
Mezz

FreeBSD GNOME Team