Gnash 0.8.2

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Fri May 16 12:11:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 2:25 AM, Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru> wrote:
> I've submitted update for gnash port to 0.8.2 (see
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=123708). We still have
> some time before it's comitted so I'd ask everione interested in
> this port to test it.
>
> For me it seems like 0.8.2 is a regression compared to 0.8.1.  I
> don't see that either 0.8.2 or gnash CVS support more flash clips
> that 0.8.1 didn't support. Instead many youtube videos won't play
> any more and fast OpenGL renderer seems broken (please confirm it).

Yes, OpenGL renderer seems to be broken on 0.8.2. I attempted to use
it but got much better results using AGG. I believe that it should be
classified as experimental, like the Cairo renderer is.

> So, as I don't know many flash-enabled sites, I will be happy to
> listen for your opinions on 0.8.1 vs 0.8.2. graphics/gnash-devel
> port with recent CVS snapshot will be added without question, so
> given that graphics/gnash may be left at 0.8.1 for now if upgrade
> to 0.8.2 brings less than it takes.

Both 0.8.2 and devel versions successfully render videos of some sites
where 0.8.1 failed when I tested. This one, for example:

     http://charges.uol.com.br/

I noticed that video rendering lags behind audio with 0.8.2 and devel.
It seems that video rendering with AGG is not fast enough, so I will
try to improve the performance by trimming some compilation
parameters.

--
Carlos A. M. dos Santos