Additional_Port_File_RFC

Jeff Bouquet 71321.303 at compuserve.com
Mon May 12 07:35:28 UTC 2008

Recurring Problem
Not enough info is given with ports installations or pre-installs
(not so bad in 2004 with 9000 ports avail.)
a minor problem here, but it keeps me from suggesting FreeBSD a lot.
examples (my other large list is put away somewhere)
...I have installed amaya, but it is nowhere to be found.  Googling
turned up nothing.  its binary that Plist says is installed, isnt anywhere.
...pantomine?  I have gnustep ports installed, but the last time I actually
used them several years ago was a multistep procedure I cannot reduplicate
without another hour of work
...Sat am, a Periodic (/local/) began hogging CPU.  Took me a good 20 min
to find out that it was not cron, but periodic, and how to start the
script
...gsnapshot, if installed silently breaks one or two /multimedia/ app builds
...mnogosearch and udmsearch install one or two common files.
..."topless -c ps axuwww"   Where was that command 3 years ago ???
so these are improvements** I wonder daily how to integrate into the tree.
...another file, say
lookat.wiki.info
gsnapshot.wiki.info
amaya.wiki.info
... a wiki.info somewhere, to which users who discover these things
...could post them (presubmitting to the maintainer? if possible)
so if one has 1000 ports installed, 5 hours (some weeks) of figuring
stuff out could be cut to one hour.
Seems like it would be a big plus in freebsd's favor.
btw the original reason for wanting the additional file in /port/, was
so that the build order is known.  for instance, as I build
ports manually, every week or so I put a "This_Order_This_port" file
in a few /ports/ so that I know without an additional 10 min.
of build-depends-list how to bump them.
just half of the reasons (imho).
Sorry not subscribed to the list.  the freebsd-questions list uses
up all my time I could allot to this one.

Jeff