FreeBSD Port: fusefs-libs-2.7.2_1 - gvfs-fuse-daemon process(es) stuck

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Wed May 7 14:30:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 09:19:24AM -0500, Matt wrote:
> Sorry - should have been more specific than the generic "stuck"
> description.  Top shows the process state as "fu_msg" and it is not
> consuming any processor resources, just seemingly sits there idling.
> Output from ps is:
>
>   UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ   RSS MWCHAN STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
>  1000  4019     1   0  44  0  6324  2528 -      Ts    ??    0:00.00
> /usr/local/libexec//gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/mtosto

The "T" flag under State says that the process is stopped.  It's as if
the process was running in the foreground, and was ^Z'd -- same
behaviour.

The part which confuses me (I'm sure others can explain this part) is
that the parent PID is 1, which is init.  This would indicate that the
process is actually a zombie whose parent has been killed off, and the
child's parent has been assigned to init.

You might try doing a "kill -CONT" on the process to see what happens.

I don't think truss or ktrace are going to help here, because something
is explicitly stopping the process (SIGSTOP or some other means).