Advice sought for ports/vis5d+

Thierry Thomas thierry at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 2 17:15:16 UTC 2008

On Fri  2 may 08 at 17:39:08 +0200, Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at math.missouri.edu>
 wrote:
> I am the maintainer of the science/vis5d+ port.  It was recently marked
> broken, and I submitted the PR ports/123233 to fix it.  However my fix
> doesn't seem to work for the amd64 -
> http://amd64.miwibox.org/tb2/errors/6.3-FreeBSD/vis5d+-1.2.1_8.log
>
> The problem seems to be with the libgfx port.  A month or two ago, it must
> have somehow been brought in as part of the netcdf port.  But now it
> has become necessary to explicitly link against libgfx.a.  For whatever
> reason, this doesn't work on the amd64.
>
> Any help or advice much appreciated.

Hello Stephen,

The message is:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libgfx.a(time.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

That means that graphics/libgfx should be modified to use -fPIC, and
better to produce a shared library (maintainer Cc'ed).

Regards,
--
Th. Thomas.