problem about software "traffic"

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 28 08:11:32 PDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 09:59:46PM +0700, kamolpat at dmaccess.net wrote:
> configure:2185: checking for suffix of executables
> configure:2187: cc -o conftest -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe    conftest.c
>  >&5
> cc: conftest.c: No such file or directory
> cc: No input files specified
> configure:2190: $? = 1
> configure:2207: error: cannot compute suffix of executables: cannot compile
> and link
> See `config.log' for more details.

The problem is here.

For some particular reason, there's no conftest.c available to the
compiler.  I'm pretty sure configure scripts create this file
themselves, then try to compile it.

There's also the possibility of "autoconf" being required and run, which
would build the configure script itself, and that might be broken.  It's
possible the autoconf* installation on your machine is outdated, or is
incompatible with the version the software was developed around.

All that's in net/traffic/Makefile is:

GNU_CONFIGURE=          yes

So the question is why configure isn't creating conftest.c; possibly an
old autoconfs port installation?

If conftest.c comes with the software already, then I have no
explanation for what's going on.