using pkgdb

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Mar 28 07:44:44 PDT 2008

Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> writes:

> I'm using pkgdb because I wanted to try portupgrade, and it required it.  My
> problem is that it's doing procedures, asking for a decision on my part, but I
> can't make any guess how to answer it, because the prompt is fairly meaningless
> to  me.  Here is an example of what I'm seeing:
>
> Stale dependency: someportname-1.1.1 -> differentportname-1.1.1 (differentportname):
> 3rdportname-1.1.1 ? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [yes]

To me, this is fairly self-explanatory.  "someportname" is listed as
depending on "differentportname," but "differentportname" isn't
installed.  It suggests that "3rdportname" be listed as a dependency
instead, on the theory that "3rdportname" may be providing the
functionality that "someportname" actually depends on.

Your choices are "y" to accept that suggestion, "n" to refuse it, and
"a" to accept it and also apply it to all other ports that depend on
"differentportname."

> I haven't the least idea what the Y/N/A is referring to, what sort of action I
> am causing or allowing.  I tried the man page on pkgdb, but I didn't see that
> sort of message in that page.  Sure hope you can give me a hint (and, as a hint,
> this might be a good time to fix that fairly useless prompt).

Apparently, but you would have to make a concrete suggestion to the
program's author.  Since it makes sense to me, I doubt any attempts I
made for improvements would turn out to actually be better.

Be well.