portmaster and BROKEN ports

Willy Picard picard at kti.ae.poznan.pl
Wed Mar 26 01:51:18 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 03:39:11PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Willy Picard wrote:
>> I would like to know if there is a smart way to ask portmaster to ignore BROKEN
>> ports. Currently I added a +IGNOREME file to all BROKEN ports I have but I would
>> like portmaster to automatically ignore these ports without the +IGNOREME file.
>
> Sorry, portmaster hasn't developed psychic abilities yet, so it can't know
> for sure what you want to do with your broken ports vs. what all the other
> portmaster users want to do with them. :)

Well, I am not thinking about paranormal abilities for portmaster, I was rather
thinking about a nice option (e.g. --ignore-broken) that would allow postmaster
to ignore BROKEN ports during a "postmaster -a".

Currently, I have the www/flock port installed. This port is marked as BROKEN
(not by me, so this is not "my broken port" but "a broken port"). When I run
"postmaster -a", postmaster exists before updating of ports because flock is
broken. I therefore add a +IGNOREME file in the /var/db/pkg/flock-* dir.
However, if the flock port is not marked BROKEN tomorrow, I will have to 1)
detect this fact, 2) remove the +IGNOREME file.

portupgrade simply ignores BROKEN ports during a "portupgrade -a". I am not even
asking about a similar behaviour for portmaster. I wanted just to ask if an
option allows to do the same. If no such an option exists, I think that its
addition to the functionality of portmaster may be worth considering.

Best regards,

Willy Picard
Willy Picard                        e-mail: picard at kti.ae.poznan.pl
Dept. of Information Technology     www:    http://www.kti.ae.poznan.pl/
The Poznan University of Economics  tel:    +48 61 848 05 49
Mansfelda 4, 60-854 Poznan, Poland  fax:    +48 61 848 38 40