net/skype - a few port related issues...

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Mar 25 19:43:03 PDT 2008

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:46:17 -0800
Beech Rintoul <beech at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Norberto Meijome said:
> > Hi Beech  et al,
> >
> > First of all, thanks so much for getting the latest linux version
> > working on FBSD :)
> >
> > Some issues:
> >
> > - the url to get the OSS file isn't correct - the correct one it is
> > now
> >
> > http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-oss
>
> That's just a link on their website to the address I have in the
> Makefile. I verified that address correct this morning. That being
> said, I have seen connectivity issues the past few days with their
> download site and Skype is aware of it.

right - but the download process from the Makefile was failing.

strange...  http://download.skype.com/linux/skype_static-1.4.0.118-oss.tar.bz2  works ok now (assuming that's the URL in the Makefile...)

> > If for some reason it doesn't work, i am happy to provide hosting
> > for the file (if allowed by Skype's license of course).
>
> Unfortunately, Skype's license doesn't allow us to mirror the
> distfiles. I'm working on this, but for now we need to use the
> official repo.

I figured. nw.

[...]

> On another note, Skype is about to release 2.0 in oss. I have the beta
> and it works great (without video) and should be available shortly as
> skype-devel. Stay tuned! If anyone here has experience with webcams
> on FreeBSD and wants to contribute, please contact miwi@ or myself
> off-list.

that's great news, thanks!

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else does and thinking something different."
  Albert Szent-Gyorgyi, 1937 Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine