Cleaning /var/db/ports

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 25 12:52:44 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:52:57AM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2008, at 11:51 AM, Lars Stokholm wrote:
>
>> Apart from doing 'rm -r /var/db/ports/*' is there a way of cleaning the
>> folder of stale folders and files?
>>
>> I know it takes up no space and that I might aswell leave it alone, but
>> it'd be interesting to know. :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lars
>
> pkg_cutleaves -- an excellent Perl port that will help you out with that.

Which, unfortunately won't clean up /var/db/ports.

I'm not 100% certain but I think the only information stored in
/var/db/ports are distfile recordings and options selections?  As such,
nothing overly important is recorded there and you might be OK to just
blow it all away.  Of course I'd make a backup of it first just incase I
am wrong.

-- WXS