portmaster and restarting of upgraded daemons

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 23 09:14:55 PDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 04:27:21PM +0100, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Wesley Shields wrote:

>>> This is more a complaint about the existing ports infrastructure, as
>>> IMHO, it's something that should be handled there and not necessarily by
>>> "third-party" port management utilities.
>>>
>>> Some existing ports (such as smartmontools, i.e. smartd) do this, while
>>> others (such as postfix) do not.
>>

>> There is an @stopdaemon facility which can be used in the plist.  In
>> fact, it might be a smart idea to remove the way smartmontools does it
>> and replace it with @stopdaemon for consistency sake.
>>

>>> There are pros and cons to what you want.  I myself have never managed
>>> to conclude if the pros outweigh the cons -- or vice-versa -- but I have
>>> thought about it before.
>>

>> Personally, I do not want anything stopping or starting services on it's
>> own.  That is something that I, as an administrator, should be handling.
>> Of course others are entitled to disagree.  :)
>
> If I am upgrading just one port, I can restart it manualy, but if I do
> someting like `portmaster -a`, it is long running job and I do not want to
> wait and check for each port when it is right time to manualy restart the
> daemon.
> So I think portmaster can have some hooks to call user defined code
> (sourced from portmaster.rc?) before or after install routine.

That's entirely up to Doug, but it could potentially be a good idea IMO.
It's kind of like the description I give below but moving it out of
ports and into portmaster, and making the code entirely user defined.

>> With that said, it may be interesting to have a knob which allows for
>> services to be started right away if desired by the user, and if the
>> port supports such a situation (ie: it does not require any
>> configuration after the install).  The default for the user-defined knob
>> would be off, for at least POLA reasons.

-- WXS