portmaster and restarting of upgraded daemons

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 23 07:48:24 PDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 02:52:35PM +0100, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> I am almost new to portmaster, so I got a question - is there any
> possibility to restart installed services as in portupgrade with defined
> BEFOREBUILD / BEFOREDEINSTALL / AFTERINSTALL? Or is there any future plan
> to do so? It is annoying if I end up with some dead services after upgrade
> just because I forgot to manualy do /usr/local/etc/rc.d/some_daemon restart

This is more a complaint about the existing ports infrastructure, as
IMHO, it's something that should be handled there and not necessarily by
"third-party" port management utilities.

Some existing ports (such as smartmontools, i.e. smartd) do this, while
others (such as postfix) do not.

There are pros and cons to what you want.  I myself have never managed
to conclude if the pros outweigh the cons -- or vice-versa -- but I have
thought about it before.