Kernel Compile Options: _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING, SMP

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Sat Mar 22 07:33:01 PDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 09:58:08AM -0400, Jim Stapleton wrote:
> Supposedly SMP is available by default in 7.0, but I didn't see the
> 'options SMP' entry in the generic config. I take it that is
> unnecessary for SMP support now?

Incorrect on both accounts.  You do need the option to get SMP.

This is the i386/conf/GENERIC as of the release of RELENG_7:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC?rev=1.474.2.2;content-type=text%2Fplain

And amd64/conf/GENERIC has it as well:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC?rev=1.484.2.2;content-type=text%2Fplain

> _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING:
> This says it's for real time in the config. Chances are, i don't need
> it, but I'd like to verify. Mostly I do standard desktop stuff:
> KDE/gnome/xfce/ion depending on who's logged in, FireFox, kmail,
> OpenOffice, WINE, and probably a VM once I get one working. I do some
> coding (C/C++/Python, maybe some D soon), but nothing that would need
> real time to my knowledge. A future rebuild of this machine will act
> as a PVR as well.

Leave the option enabled.  It encapsulates commonly-used extensions
added by Berkeley.