Utility for safe updating of ports in base system

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 20 08:22:00 PDT 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Doug Barton wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Michel Talon wrote:
>
>> In my opinion, an example of a correct "pkg_upgrade" type programm
>> written in C++ is the Debian apt-get. It works predictably, fast,
>> etc.  One of its features, that i consider very important for correct
>> operation, is that it computes the list of all packages to be deleted
>> and all packages to be installed and asks the user if he agrees
>> before doing anything.
>
> Why do you consider this an important feature? (I'm not disagreeing,
> just curious about your thought process here.)

Personally, I like to know everything that will happen before it
happens.  When options change, I am not always sure what it will bring.
For example, I do not have HAL (WITHOUT_HAL via portconf) installed on
my system.  Some ports may try to bring it in regardless of the setting;
I would like to see that first.  In this case, I think portmaster -na
gives me an idea of what will happen.

Sean
--
scf at FreeBSD.org