Utility for safe updating of ports in base system

Sticky Bit stickybit at gmx.net
Thu Mar 20 05:45:49 PDT 2008

The real question is: ports or packages? Please do not mix them together!

If we are talking about ports and ports updating then portmaster is (now) an
excellent candidate for this job and I vote for portmaster.

If we are talking about packages and package management then portmaster and
all other ports updating tools are of course out of context. They are ports
management tools - not - package management tools.

So please change

http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/index.html#p-ports-upgrade

The project idea is called 'Utility for safe updating of ports in base
system'. The jobs description is false because of using 'pkg_*' but
meaning 'port*'. And it really looks just like a request for rewrite
portupgrade in C and to put this rewritten portupgrade in base. I strongly
vote against it!

The entry 'Package tools improvements'

http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/index.html#p-ports-pkgtools

 should be extended / rewritten for a new package management tool (/framework)
idea. Michel Talon had described such a tool.

So we are actually talking about two different things ...

--
Regards,
Sticky Bit <stickybit at gmx.net>