amd64 version of Opera

Arjan van Leeuwen arjanl at opera.com
Sun Mar 16 15:08:22 UTC 2008

Op Sun, 16 Mar 2008 07:27:51 +0100 schreef Ion-Mihai Tetcu
<itetcu at freebsd.org>:

> On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 20:49:34 -0400
> Ken Smith <kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU> wrote:
>

>> Someone (cough Dan cough) noticed me saying on IRC one of the things I
>> missed after shifting my home machine from i386 to amd64 was Opera.  He
>> pointed me at this:
>>
>>  http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/snapshot-1834/amd64-freebsd/
>
> This is the new beta release for 9.5 series and it's the first to
> feature amd64 support for both FreeBSD and linux; it also drops support
> for FreeBSD 4.

It's not even a beta; it's a development snapshot, something we try to
release every week (or as often as time permits) on the desktop team blog
(http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/). The difference is that snapshots do
not receive the QA that 'real' betas get, they're basically just builds
coming straight from our development branches.

>> which it turned out was very simple to install (I needed to build
>> x11-toolkits/qt33, and just ran the install.sh that was packaged in the
>> Opera download).
>
> Seems they didn't do a static build for i386.

s/i386/amd64/, indeed :). We have yet to see what we'll do with the whole
static/dynamic build thing; right now we have so many builds (not just
FreeBSD, think Linux and Solaris on various architectures as well) that
testing all of them takes up a lot of resources in QA, and we'd like to
have less builds. For now, we'll only do shared builds for FreeBSD/amd64.

>> He suggested I send this to see if someone familiar with the Opera ports
>> would be interested in packaging this up into a real port.
>
> Well, the best idea then it to CC the port maintainer, which I did on
> this email ;-)
> In this I case I'm sure he knows about it, seeing that he works for
> Opera :) Maybe the -devel port we be resurrected ;-)

Yeah, I know :). I've been a bit hesitant in the past about resurrecting
the -devel port, considering the developmental nature of the snapshots and
the fact that the port would need a (simple) update almost every week. But
if there's demand, we always welcome more testers :). Having FreeBSD 7 and
amd64 builds out there is of course a big plus.

If a ports committer would like to offer being on the CC of submitted PRs
so that the weekly updates can go through relatively quickly, that would
be very nice :).

Arjan

http://www.opera.com/mail/