amd64 version of Opera

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 16 06:28:04 UTC 2008

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 20:49:34 -0400
Ken Smith <kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU> wrote:

> Someone (cough Dan cough) noticed me saying on IRC one of the things I
> missed after shifting my home machine from i386 to amd64 was Opera.  He
> pointed me at this:
>
>  http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/snapshot-1834/amd64-freebsd/

This is the new beta release for 9.5 series and it's the first to
feature amd64 support for both FreeBSD and linux; it also drops support
for FreeBSD 4.

> which it turned out was very simple to install (I needed to build
> x11-toolkits/qt33, and just ran the install.sh that was packaged in the
> Opera download).

Seems they didn't do a static build for i386.

> He suggested I send this to see if someone familiar with the Opera ports
> would be interested in packaging this up into a real port.

Well, the best idea then it to CC the port maintainer, which I did on
this email ;-)
In this I case I'm sure he knows about it, seeing that he works for
Opera :) Maybe the -devel port we be resurrected ;-)

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B