ports/113132 (make -j patch)

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Wed Mar 12 16:15:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:11:51 +0100
Benjamin Lutz <mail at maxlor.com> wrote:

> This patch has been sitting in GNATS for a couple of months now:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/113132
>
> I've received a few mails from people reporting success, and none
> reporting that bad things have happened. Is it possible to get this
> committed?
>
> Cheers
> Benjamin

I'm not keen on the way MAKE_JOBS_WHITELIST is implemented as a list.
It seems to be out of step with the way similar problems are handled
elsewhere. I would have expected a simple flag that can be set per port
using portsconf, pkgtools.conf, etc.

This is more of a bikeshed issue, but the term MAKE_JOBS reflects
implementation (gmake -j) rather than function, and its meaning isn't
obvious the way something like  PARALLEL_BUILD would be.