x11 upgrade from 6.9 fails right at the outset

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 10 11:08:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 06:58:22 -0400
Gerard <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 04:38:04 -0500 (CDT)
> Scott Bennett <bennett at cs.niu.edu> wrote:
>
> >      I'm finally trying to do the upgrade from X.org 6.9 and have run
> > into an error right at the beginning.  I'm running FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE
> > with the kernel updated to today.  (The rest of the system was last
> > updated two or three weeks ago, IIRC.)  The X.org upgrade failure
> > looks like this:
>
> [snip]
>
> > If someone could pass me a clue to getting the upgrade going, I'd
> > appreciate it greatly.  Thanks much.
>
> Did you read and follow the instructions in '/usr/ports/UPDATING',
> specifically this one:
>
>   20070519:
>   AFFECTS: users of Xorg
>   AUTHOR: kris at FreeBSD.org
>
> Please read the entire entry and see if that corrects the problem.

That entry instructs to use ports-mgmt/portupgrade-devel which has the
bug the OP ran into (which didn't exist at the time of writing the
entry was correct at the).

AFAIK the things needed for xorg upgrade have been all MFD in
ports-mgmt/portupgrade.