Portsnap: Cowardly Gives Up After Failure

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 9 14:49:17 UTC 2008

On 2008.03.09 15:38:53 +0100, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> On 2008.03.09 14:36:49 +0100, Rene Ladan wrote:
> > Gerard schreef:
> > > I just saw this 'portsnap' error message for the first time.
> > >

> > > Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
> > > Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap2.FreeBSD.org... done.
> > > Latest snapshot on server is older than what we already have!
> > > Cowardly refusing to downgrade from Fri Mar  7 15:23:43 EST 2008
> > > to Fri Mar  7 10:15:54 EST 2008.
> > >
> > I see this happening about half the times I run portsnap.  The
> > erroneous image is always from March 7.
>
> The most likely cause of the problem is that the data portsnap is
> trying to fetch is out of date either bacause of the mirror being
> (partially?) broken or e.g. a broken proxy in between.
>
> Is the working or non-working related to a particular portsnap server?

OK, I just reproduced it - it seems portsnap2.FreeBSD.org is out of
date.  I have poked the admin of the particular mirror (quite easy as
it's Colin ;-) ).

It is posible to work around this by setting SERVERNAME in
portsnap.conf, but I suspect just waiting a bit for Colin to fix this
is simpler, also so people don't forget to remove the special
hardcoded server from the config once it's working again.

Looking up us.portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap2.FreeBSD.org... done.
Latest snapshot on server is older than what we already have!
Cowardly refusing to downgrade from Sun Mar  9 14:10:14 CET 2008
to Fri Mar  7 16:15:54 CET 2008.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
Hat: portsnap co-admin