Preparing an Oracle Database XE port/package -- any tips ?

Adrian Penisoara ady at freebsd.ady.ro
Sat Mar 8 11:09:43 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 12:16 AM, Marcin Cieslak <saper at system.pl> wrote:

> Adrian Penisoara wrote:
> > 2). Usually everything comes down to business cases and business
> > opportunities. So I think we will need to demonstrate a large userbase
> in
> > order to get attention. I think we should be happy if an Oracle XE
> FreeBSD
> > package will make it onto the downloads page in the first place.
>
> I can give you one business case:
>
> During election observation mission in 2007 an Oracle XE installation
> I've had (just for test) on my FreeBSD notebook saved my (election) day
> and allowed me to analyze and verify election results - and this is a
> Big Thing(tm).

Well, this sort of stories really ought to be told and heard around. Have
you considered writing a short story or even a news article on this topic (I
guess there are good places where you could submit it) ?

> > 3) Oracle EE / SE editions are indeed the big guns on the enterprise
> > database market, but until there are some more steps. And Oracle does
> not
> > use a packaging format for these, OUI (Oracle Universal Installer) is
> the
> > designated tool to use.
>
> OUI is difficult to run, it's usually easier to setup a database without
> it. Fortunately XE does not need one at all. There are scripts out there
> that perform database creation end-to-end and I think they should be
> included in the port.

Right. I will be extracting the RPM specs file to form the package
installation script.
I'm not sure whether the debian scripts have something better.

Regards,
Adrian Penisoara
ROFUG / EnterpriseBSD