interactive ports - the plague

Jesper Louis Andersen jesper.louis.andersen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 18:49:31 UTC 2008

I am not sure it would solve the particular problem, but one could take a
look at how NetBSDs pkgsrc
build system copes with licenses in general:

For each license type, there is a knob. The knob could normally be
interactive, yielding the exact
same behaviour as now. But if an appropriate ACCEPT_LICENSE_FOO=Yes is found
in make.conf,
then the user has read and accepted that particular license type once and
for all.

The downside is that this requires a considerable amount of work and
thought. What should happen
when the license changes, for instance.