interactive ports - the plague

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Mon Mar 3 09:24:24 UTC 2008

I don't mind ports that use the config framework. You can deal with them
without trouble by setting BATCH, using portmaster or portconfig-recursive
from bsdadminscripts.

But I find ports like ghostscript-gpl that open an ncurses dialogue between
configure and build stage very annoying. They are the reason one wakes up in
the morning and finds out that instead of having finished all updates, the
machine hasn't even started updating, because it's just hanging there, waiting
with a config dialogue that doesn't even remember what I choose last time.

I cannot find any policy on interactive ports in the Porters' Handbook. Maybe
there aught to be one.