Having problems with my ports configuration

Patrick Mahan mahan at mahan.org
Sat Mar 1 04:21:21 UTC 2008

Shaun Amott presented these words - circa 2/29/08 6:45 PM->
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:25:06PM -0800, Patrick Mahan wrote:
>> One of the issues that came out of this was it seemed that the
>> ports database (/var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db) was corrupt.  So I tried
>> to rebuild it by deleting it and setting PKG_DBDIR).  I issued
>> a 'portsdb -Uu' and it fails -
>
> Do you have anything left under /var/db/pkg (presumably not, unless you
> still have PKG_DBDIR set)?
>
>> host# portsdb -Uu
>> Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please
>> wait..p5-DateTime-Calendar-Japanese-0.06001:
>> "/usr/ports/japanese/p5-DateTime-Calendar-Japanese-Era" non-existent --
>> dependency list incomplete
>> ===> devel/p5-DateTime-Calendar-Japanese failed
>> *** Error code 1
>> 1 error
>
> Looks like you might have an old ports tree. Have you updated it lately?

I had done a portsnap about 6 hours before the first READ error on the
IDE drive.

>> So, somehow, I have managed to seriously hammer my ports/package
>> installation.  Is there a way to recover this info?  Is there any
>> way of determing just what is installed (I know of a few: Perl,
>> emacs, etc) from info stored under '/usr/ports'?
>
> If you just removed the portupgrade database (which is all you
> mentioned), you haven't lost anything important: it can be regenerated.
> If the whole of /var/db/pkg was obliterated, you'll have to reinstall
> everything. If you know what version of each port you had installed
> (plus the OPTIONS, etc., used), installing over the top of what you have
> now is probably the best you can do.

Unfortunately, the whole of /var/db/pkg was *pocked*.  As for knowing
what versions were installed, well, that's what I am trying to
determine.

I guess it looks like I am going to need a big *pocking* hammer....

Thanks,

Patrick