Issues with portmaster

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Mon Jun 23 12:48:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:57:41 +0200
Alex Dupre <ale at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Alexey Shuvaev ha scritto:
> > It seems I don't understand something here. Can someone explain why
> > jdk ports need to set BUILD_DEPENDS on diablo-jdk15 unconditionally?
>
> (nearly) every JDK port needs an already usable/installed JDK to
> bootstrap the compilation. This is the reason of the BUILD_DEPENDS on
> javac that you cannot remove. But the port providing the javac binary
> could not be the diablo-jdk.

The thing is that, IIRC, it doesn't have to create a dependency at
all, unless the functionality is missing. It's not simply a case of it
creating a normally dependency in the sense of: install this port if
that file is not found.

The makefile has logic to detect which java ports are installed, so it
doesn't build a second bootstap port, but it doesn't carry it through
to removing the dependency once bootstrapping is no longer required.

I reported this problem a long time ago after I spotted that
portmanager was reinstalling a linux java version. I thought the
maintainer was going to fix it.