PETSc and external package

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 16:37:46 UTC 2008

hello,
I have an amd64 server thats runs freebsd 7.0 and I tried to use petsc from
the ports.
The port is build ok and with blocksolve95, umfpack but when i try to link
petsc libraries
when building an executable the linking failed with "undefined reference to"
errors.

The references are all related to the blocksolve95 static library.

This is a weird behaviour to me. I've read that static libraries have to be
build with the -fPIC option on amd64.
Since blocksolve95 is not build with -fPIC is it possible that the linker
discard the libraries not built with fPIC ?

Moreover when linking a static library (blocksolve95) to build a shared
library (pelicans) an error says that relocation R_X64_64_32
is not allowed and libs must be compiled with fPIC

Have you any insight ?

Thank you

Aurelien